Man Freed On Bond For Stabbing K-9 Officer, On The Run After Police Chase

UPDATE: ABC13 reports:

"Houston police say the discovery of a body in a Memorial-area neighborhood this morning is related to the case of a missing man whose son led officers on a pursuit overnight.
According to HPD, investigators were called to the 14700 block of Carolcrest Drive, near Memorial Drive, regarding a male's body."

This is bail reform in Harris County.

On Saturday, 26-year-old Ryan Mitchell Smith was taken into custody, accused of stabbing a K-9 officer.

He was also charged with evading arrest, robbery with bodily injury, and interference with a police service animal. 

Po-po says Smith tried to carjack a vehicle off Memorial Heights Drive with two men inside.  He was unsuccessful, but fled.Po-po caught up with him hiding at an apartment complex parking garage.

A K-9 officer chased Smith on foot. Investigators say that K-9 officer, Nate, was stabbed by Smith. Nate’s partner scooped him up and rushed him to an area animal hospital on Katy Freeway.

Nate the dog lost a lot of blood, but is now recovering at home after undergoing surgery. Smith was released on just $50,000 bond..

And now police are searching for Smith because his father has been reported missing.

ABC13 reports:

“Smith led police on a pursuit that ended at the Houston Polo Club on the northwest side of Memorial Park, according to HPD.
Investigators said he then ran into the woods and disappeared...
Smith is currently out on bond after a run-in with police on Saturday, Jan. 22. He is accused of stabbing an HPD K-9 with a knife...
HPD investigators said they wanted to talk to Smith Monday night because his father is missing.
Officers located Smith on Houston's westside near Briar Forest and Dairy Ashford and, according to investigators, he was driving his father's truck.
That's when Smith took off, and eventually ditched the truck at Memorial Park before running off into the woods, police said.
Officers said they found a gun in the truck after Smith ran off.
Radio traffic audio captured the moment officers were trying to arrest Smith overnight.
"Homicide 3494. Hold the air. We have a potential kidnapping suspect on the run. He is in a black Denali GMC. He is going to be on Dairy Ashford, 500 block of Dairy Ashford," an officer reported. "He has no plates on the car. A potential murder suspect."
The hours-long search for Smith ended at 3 a.m. Tuesday due to weather conditions.”

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content